New VMware Package Hits the Streets
Virtualization powerhouse VMware has just released the latest
version of its VMware Infrastructure 3
. This bundle covers the bases and
includes VMware ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5. Overall, VMware Infrastructure
3 promises increased automation, improved infrastructure availability and higher
The VMware ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5 package that forms the bulk
of VMware Infrastructure 3 has the following upgrades:
- Performance gains for memory and I/O intensive workloads.
- Large memory pages for ESX Server and guest operating systems.
- Support for TCP segmentation offload.
- Support for paravirtualized Linux improves performance of Linux workloads.
- VMware Storage VMotion lets you migrate live virtual machine disks from
one system to another with minimal disruption or downtime.
- VMware Update Manager automates patch and update management for VMware ESX
Server hosts and VMs.
- VMware Guided Consolidation (part of VMware VirtualCenter) helps smaller
companies quickly get started with server consolidation with a step-by-step
VMware Infrastructure 3 will include VMware ESX Server or VMware ESX Server
3i, VMware Consolidated Backup and the VMware Update Manager. Pricing starts
at $995 per two processors. Check out http://www.vmware.com
to find out more.
What's your virtualization strategy? How much have you committed to virtualization
-- both in terms of resources and operations? Let us know and we may want to
talk to you about all sorts of upcoming stories. Check in at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by Lafe Low on 12/12/2007 at 1:23 PM